Most of us enjoy going out and sharing food with those close to us whether it be for a catch up or a function of some sort which is why we here understand missing teeth can even make these basic pleasures harder than usual. This is where dental implants come in! They offer a solution for this problem and it is the closest you as a patient can receive in terms of having your natural teeth back.
Pros of replacing a missing tooth:
Leaving a gap between the teeth can actually in some circumstances cause:
- Misaligned bite
- Bone loss
- The teeth next door tilted in towards the empty space
- The teeth might not bite together comfortably anymore
A dental implant will help keep the bone and your bite happy!
Pros of a dental implant:
- Withstand greater pressure than a denture
- Prevent bone loss in the jaw and may prevent gum recession
- Prevent the look of hollowed or collapsed cheeks that can sometimes occur after an extraction
- Are surrounded by the gum just like your natural tooth would
- Unlike bridges they do not require the teeth next door to be adjusted or even touched for that matter
- Are firmly secured into your jaw
- Are usually more comfortable compared to a denture
- Like natural teeth they can be cleaned by floss/ piksters and brushed with regular toothpaste.
What does it involve?
At first appointment our dentists will need to determine if an implant is the best treatment for your dental problem.
The dentist will consider your medical history as well as the diagnostic tests they will need to confirm with you in that first examination to confirm such as dental x-rays, CT scans of your jaw bone and take impressions of your mouth to see if there is sufficient bone in place to support the implant.
You will also be reffered to a periodontist that our dentist recommends which here is normally Macquarie street periodontist and will undertake appointments between ourselves and the periodontist which will be guided and explained to you upon appointment to make sure all runs smoothly.
Dental implants consist of three main parts:
- Dental implant post – This replaces the tooth’s root.
- Abutment – This attaches to the implant post and supports the crown.
- Implant crown – This is the part people will be able to see when you smile.
The healing process for an implant can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months and the cleaning process for an implant is the same as if it was a natural tooth such as your two cleans a year and flossing.